Sunday, August 23, 2009

GMR TT and 5K Open Water Swim Weekend

A weekend in the heat. Saturday, the club did a little TT up Glendora Mountain Road (frontside of GMR). There was a pretty thick set of clouds on saturday morning, but it was at least 80 degrees at 8am. Also, it was very humid. I was dripping on the 7 mile or so easy ride over to the base. The ride up was good. We had some hot dogs in the group in the 40-43 minute range. Then a bunch in the 49-51 minute range and then another larger group in the 60+ minute range.

By the numbers:

Duration: 50:04
Work: 761 kJ
TSS: 89.3 (intensity factor 1.035)
Norm Power: 259
VI: 1.02
Pw:HR: 4.98%
Pa:HR: -6.64%
Distance: 8.588 mi
Min Max Avg
Power: 0 483 253 watts
Heart Rate: 112 156 147 bpm
Cadence: 48 147 75 rpm
Speed: 6.5 29 10.3 mph
Pace 2:04 9:17 5:50 min/mi
Crank Torque: 0 626 292 lb-in


This compares to rides on March 7th [50:39 and 260W) and on May 10th (50:40 and 255W). The pre-op knee was killing me on both of those rides. This weekend, knee felt great, no swelling, no nothing afterwards. And better by 40 seconds.

After the ride, had some lunch in downtown Monrovia, then headed home to get cleaned up. I headed back across town to meet The Wife at her race rehearsal transition around 2pm. It was 93 degrees. She was doing a 112 mile ride and 60 minute run, and is now 6 weeks out from Kona. She looked hot when she got off the bike. Brutal headwind on the way down the path, and not much help on the way back.

After seeing her sweaty body leave for the run, I headed back to the aquatic center for a little warm up swim--an easy 1500--in preparation for Sunday's 5K open water swim down in Long Beach. No clouds on sunday. Just hot, even down at the beach.

Placed 7th overall and 1st in my age group in the 5k swim. It was a 3 loop swim where you swim through a corall each lap. They had chip timing, yet couldn't post the results until the following day. I started on the right, but quickly noticed some fast people on the left (Alex and Dawn), and decided to move over towards them. I caught the tail end of their little group, and got on a UCI swimmer's feet. He pulled me nicely. I settled in and my strategy was to swim smooth for two laps and then put the hurt on this guy on lap 3. He must have been thinking the same thing as he would accelerate after each turn around for the last lap and and a half. I almost had him at the end, but just didn't have the speed or kick to blow by him. He came in 5 seconds ahead. Overall time 1:05:17 (avearage pace of 1:18.3/100m). IM equivalent time would be 49:36. I wore a new blueseventy nero swim skin. I forgot to put the lube on, and I have a nice rash/gouge on the right side of my neck; it must be from lifting the head for sighting purposes. This happens to me every time. When will I learn to not forget the lube.

No comments:

Post a Comment