Friday, February 7, 2014

Run Run Run

After the Ironman Lake Tahoe/end of season recovery, we began our dive back into training.   In December we did the Santa to the Sea Half Marathon and then four weeks later the New Year's Half in downtown LA and up to Dodger Stadium.  Both good tests of my run fitness.  I liked Santa to the Sea with it's great energy, small race type feeling.  Plus it was sooooo flat.    I ran next to the Elf on the Shelf Kegel, who uncerimoniously dropped me around mile 11.    I rounded out the runfest with a the Surf City Marathon on super bowl sunday.  Beautiful day.  Was having the marathon of my life, but faded in the last 6 miles.  Although not a PR, a great race experience from beginning to end.  The trophy wife did the half mary and we met up at the finish line.

After the race we did something pretty cool.  We donated our medals to an organization that visits children cancer patients at hospitals and gives them the donated medals.  The lady who was running the booth started the effort after her son was killed by a great white shark while boogie boarding  by UC Santa Barbara about 2 years ago (I remember when this happened).  A few weeks before he was attacked, he had been visiting ill children at various local hospitals, and his mom was continuing this in his memory.  I don't know if was post race lows or just silly weepiness, but I was so choked up, I could barely walk back to the car.   I feel so lucky on so many fronts. 

No comments:

Post a Comment