Monday, July 27, 2009

My Last Junior Olympics

Up here in San Jose at the water polo junior olympics for my son. Haven't been getting much in the way of workouts in, but did manage to ride up into the Los Altos hills. Would have liked to ridden Mt. Hamilton, but the timing of games every few hours made that logistically impossible. 3 games on saturday, 3 games on sunday, 2 games monday and one tomorrow. Our team is playing for 11th which isn't too bad since most of the kids haven't really played together--all come from different high schools, etc. We were one goal away from making the top 8 losing to Trojan 9-8 with my wonderful son scoring 4 goals and having an all around great game.

So, this is my last junior olympics for water polo - 3 trips to Northern Cal + 4 southern california tournaments over the past 8 years. That's a lot of water polo tournaments in between, many bad referees and a plethora of parents that provided a lot of entertainment.

Word of the weekend? It is noch, as in "notch". One kid in the car going back to the hotel on saturda asks the other two 17 year olds in the car, "how do you spell notch?" They both responded, "how do you think?" "N - O - C - H" was his answer. "Yes, that looks right to me," he continued. His new nickname is now noch. He obviously can't spell crotch or snatch, either. Two days later I convinced that same young genius that the ingredients in Red Bull will turn your tweener yellow (tweener, aka gooch). I'm sure he's got his head between his legs right now with a flashlight.

My training the past two weeks has been okay on the swim side, but I eased off the bike a little due to the knee getting a little cranky.

Week of the 13th - Swam 14,300m and Biked 65 miles
1.2 mile TT (1900m) 25:48 (pace 1:21.5s)
Week of the 20th - Swam 13,200m and Biked 50 miles
1500m TT 19:30 (pace 1:18s)

Although my weekly totals are kind of weak, the tour was on every night, and I had to cook for my wife's training entourage each night while watching the stages.

Should be back in the saddle more throughout the month of August. Plan on doing the Cool Breeze Century along with some other long rides.

Just need to get out of San Jose. I still have the final 2 stages to watch.

No comments:

Post a Comment